DHA, Housing Solutions for North Texas created the Opportunity Rising Foundation, an education-focused nonprofit organization that provides students living in DHA’s Public Housing or who participate in DHA’s Housing Choice Voucher Program access to resources and experiences that empower them to pursue higher education and lifelong learning. Opportunity Rising invests in education and learning, so the families we serve can access the resources they need to pursue better careers and improve their quality of life.
The Ascend Scholarship Awards application window is now open for students entering their second year in an institution of higher learning with no lapses in semester to help offset some of the cost of the student’s education.
The Summit Scholarship Awards application window is open for students who are returning to school after a separation of at least two years, to help offset some of the cost of the student’s education.
Both scholarships are open to students who reside in DHA’s Public Housing or participate in DHA’s Housing Choice Voucher Program.
To apply for either scholarship, some of the key requirements include:
- Student must reside in DHA supported housing
- Must complete application in its entirety
- Submit proof of registration (i.e. class schedule, fee receipt or letter from institution)
- Submit two letters of recommendation from an employer, community representative, clergy or school representative
- Provide student’s address & telephone number on campus
This year’s essay theme for the Ascend Scholarship Awards is “The Pros and Cons of a Virtual College Education.”
The essay theme for the Summit Scholarship Awards is “Why Is It Important for Me to Pursue a Higher Education?“
Each Essay will be judged on:
- Quality of content
- Ability to captivate the reader
- Correct grammar usage (punctuation and spelling)
- Overall presentation
Deadlines for both the Ascend and Summit Scholarship Awards is January 21, 2022 at 11:59 pm.
For full details and to apply to these scholarship opportunities, please visit our scholarship page.