DHA, Housing Solutions for North Texas created the Opportunity Rising Foundation, an education-focused nonprofit organization that provides students living in DHA’s Public Housing or who participate in DHA’s Housing Choice Voucher Program access to resources and experiences that empower them to pursue higher education and lifelong learning. Opportunity Rising invests in education and learning, so the families we serve can access the resources they need to pursue better careers and improve their quality of life.
The Ascend Scholarship Awards application window is now open for students entering their second year in an institution of higher learning. The scholarships are open to students who reside in DHA’s Public Housing or participate in DHA’s Housing Choice Voucher Program.
Ascend eligibility requirements are:
- Student must reside in DHA supported housing
- Student must be preparing to enter or starting his/her second year in an institution of higher learning
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Complete eight (8) hours of Community Service with an agency of applicant’s choice
- Must complete this application in its entirety
To apply for this scholarship, students submit the following:
- Completed scholarship packet
- Proof of registration
- An official transcript
- Proof of Community Service (documented on agency letterhead with contact name and number)
- Address & telephone number of the institution of higher learning
- Address & telephone number of the department that the scholarship will be disbursed
- Student’s address & telephone number on campus
- Two letters of recommendation
- Complete the “Let’s Talk About You” section
- A typed 500-word essay (no longer than 550 words)
This year’s essay theme is The Pros and Cons of a Virtual College Education. Please answer the following questions in your essay:
- What could have made your learning experience better?
- What could you have done differently?
- What has this learning experience taught you about yourself?
Each Essay will be judged on:
- Quality of content
- Ability to captivate the reader
- Correct grammar usage (punctuation and spelling)
- Overall presentation
Submit By: October 4, 2021 at 11:59 pm